~ February 3rd thru 8th ~
I'd like to tell you about our busy annual Snow Festival that comes at the beginning of each February!
The Lord has allowed me to be a part of it the last 3 years and now this year. There is always an international and University student Snow Sculpting competition, and I was asked to help with the interpreting (not interrupting - don't get me wrong! Was too nervous too interrupt anyone anyway. ;) )
This was my 2nd year to be one of the main interpreters. They were short on volunteers this year, and so I was scheduled to be there everyday. It's hard to believe that I was the main interpreter for such a big event! Other's could have done much better, I'm know! But it was the Lord's will for me, and I'm very grateful for the opportunity He gave me. :) First, was translating into English at the Competition Rules Explanation meeting. Then mainly I interpreted from Japanese to English at mealtimes during the competition, when there was a greeting from an executive or manager of a group, club, company, etc., who were catering the meals, then for each of the captain meetings. I felt a little more calm this year. :) At meal times it was basically the same kind of greeting each time - 'Glad you have come...we are looking forward to your beautiful creations...stay warm, healthy... hope this meal warms you and gives you energy to continue on..." ;) It always sounds prettier or more polite in Japanese! I did my best to say it, but, I definitely needed the Lord's help, and am so thankful that He did help!
It's always fun to see the sculptures take shape! The snow has to be so hard, and packed together, and it is a lot of work, especially when the snow blocks are 3m. squared, and for the university students who haven't had as much experience. They all worked hard!
Unfortunately, I forgot to take the camera with me some of the days. :( Sorry! I took several with my simple cell phone, so they aren't very good quality.
![]() |
| Pretty balloon arch waiting for the teams to arrive for the welcoming supper. |
![]() |
| At the entryway into the dining hall for the welcoming supper. The girl on the left has the same name I do in Japanese. :) |
![]() |
| Full of delicious food! |
The next day competition started at 9:00 AM with a bang - fireworks to announce it!
Off to work everyone was! I did not come till close to noon. This is a picture from the first day, that we cut out of the newspaper. This was the break/noon and supper meal room during the competition.
![]() |
| Left to right, Korean team, Spain team, Black Forest Germany Team. In the back is the main stage with the ice slides and tube slides to the left and right. Big hit for kids!! |
![]() |
| Nayoro Team - can't exactly remember what it was supposed to be. |
![]() |
![]() |
Last day of catering, also in the paper. (It was kind of nice to show my family what it looked like, since I couldn't take pictures right then, and forgot the camera anyway! :) ) This was the Rotary Club I had to translate for this time. I'm still not sure what all they do... I'm not familiar with all the 'clubs' and groups in town.
![]() |
| Waiting for the captain meetings. |
![]() |
| Just after the ending fireworks went off. They're finished! The one in the foreground was called Space Castle, by another German team. |
![]() |
| These three are by Japanese teams. |
![]() |
| All the teams lined up for the Judging Results and Award Ceremony. Sorry it's so fuzzy! |
![]() |
| Like the octopus? |
Here are the finished products of a few.
One German team gave me a little pretty clock from Germany to thank me for my help. I thought that was very kind of them!
I am very thankful for this opportunity the Lord gave me. It was good to be out among the people in this way. For some reason, I rarely see the other volunteers during the rest of the year, due to their schedules and different work, but I pray that the Lord will work in their hearts through the tracts they received, and that He might bring me across their path sometime again. Each of the teams received tracts and cookies from us, as well. It's exciting to think that the gospel, though in a small form, was taken back to their cities, and countries around the world. :)
|





















Germans are so nice, :P jk! Anyways very nice post, Emilie! <3
ReplyDelete