Friday, October 17, 2014

Snow Bugs!

  Every year a few weeks before the first snow, these little snow bugs start flying around! I first saw some flying around on October 2nd, but they didn't have their 'snow' fuzz on them yet. Some of the English class ladies were saying that 2 weeks after you see the snow bugs, it's supposed to snow.  Well, yesterday marked the 2 week point, and we didn't get any snow. It did rain last night, and I hoped it would turn into snow, but it didn't. So, I don't know if it's supposed to snow 2 weeks after you first see the snow bugs with their fuzz, or if it happened once upon a time, and somebody thought it should happen every year. ;)
  I took a couple of pictures of them last year, but my phone focused on my hand instead of the bug, but you can still see them fairly well. It's funny, but even in Hokkaido lots of people haven't seen the snow bugs!



It's always exciting to see these flying around! It means snow is just around the corner!!!!! :)

~Katie~

4 comments:

  1. Yep! I had a fun conversation with an Okie friend about these... ;) We saw them back when UK visited but I don't think they had fuzz yet then, but This past week and late last week I saw the fuzzy ones! ;) if it snows on the 23rd or half of the day of the 24th I'll win our family's contest, hehe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of these creatures. Very interesting. Is that their real name, or just a nick name that Japanese have called them? I'm really not that anxious for snow to come this year, so if you want to keep it over there for a while yet that would be fine with me. :) We just got our first hard freeze last week, but it's been a brilliant Fall and we've enjoyed it immensely. Temps are supposed to be in the 60's again next week, so maybe we'll get a nice long Fall for once. Just praying we get a good snow to cover the ground before the deep freeze begins...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aunt Ellen,
    Yes, as far as I know, that is their only name. 'Yuki' is snow, and 'mushi' is bug, and they are called 'yukimushi'. I hope your weather has been nice for you. :) I love you! Thank you for commenting!
    Love, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it wasn't from you girls....I wouldn't believe it!

    ReplyDelete